Pilipinas, Ke-Ganda mo Teh!
OKAY! Maybe It’s a bit too late to react to the Department of Tourism’s (so called) Campaign facelift, and if it’s really a facelift it definitely upstaged an effing Jocelyn Wildenstein disaster. It was indeed the biggest Philippine tourism brouhaha to date. Even bigger than the Hayden Kho sh*t!
Tourism Undersecretary Enteng Romano, in a text message forwarded by Palace Spokesperson Abi Valte, said, “There is no plagiarism. There are enough elements in the Pilipinas logo to differentiate it from that of Poland. The color scheme and visual elements are markedly different.”
Yes, markedly different! That Poland’s Bartek tree was replaced with a coconut incarnate, WITH SMILEY FACE RIGHT SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF IT! And to rub salt on the open wound, you put a friggin tarsier on that letter “I” cum penis.
“There are similarities, pero sa pagkakaalam ko…sa atin mas makulay,” Lim said.
I agree, that yellow condom disguising as a sun made it more colorful than the Poland’s tasteful color scheme. I was even waiting for a Gay Pride flag to come out of the letter “P” and I’m sure it will propel Adam Lambert’s early retirement.
Even though there’s a translation right below the logo, people are still not amused with the slogan. Okay, how about “DODOMA NZURI!” does it ring a bell? Of course NOT!!! it is Tanzanian Swahili for crying out loud! The aim of the campaign is to tap foreign markets who bring cash loads to feed the families of those hard working souvenir vendors, why should we invite them with some gibberish shout-outs?
After the 5 Million peso campaign launch last november, social networking sites like twitter and facebook were flooded with comments of disapproval. The bloggers, travel enthusiasts, and some Philippine tourism advocates came out with a big roar, the circus made its way to the press and eventually convinced some people to resign.
In true Pinoy spirit, some took the lighter route and just made fun of the issue. Manila Boy made a fun facebook application that can personalized a “kay ganda” Logo.
A good friend who happened to be a Radio Celebrity in Manila came up with the Top Ten Tourism Slogans For The Philippines (Or A Province, Or A City), and the morning show listeners contributed the funniest things I’ve heard since LA Lopez proclaimed he is straight!
- Ant Anonymous – “More Asia, Than Malaysia.”
- RVincent – “Boom Boom Mayon! Bye Bye Albay.”
- Kid Bukid – “Bohol: Go To Hill!”
- Rogue – “Bakat Sa Mabalacat.”
- Puputot – “Be Cool, Bicol!”
- Manuel Caceres – “Make Roro To Mindoro!”
- Callie Burn – “Haller, Baler!”
- Joltino – “San Juan, Juan-derful!”
- Jaye Delassy – “Pinas, Ganda Mo Teh!”
- Axel – “Cubao. Bow.”
- Franzen – “Maganda Raw, Sa Tuguegarao.”
- Greg – “Mag Masbate Araw-Araw!”
- Poljeffrey – “Sa Pandacan, Big Time Ka!”
- Inoman/Joti/Farrah – “Thanks For Coming, Camiguin!”
- Jaye Delassy – “PH OK! PH OK!”
- Tyler Swift – “Tata Tete Titi Toto Tutuban!”
- Kroo Kroo/Lee/Mrs. DJ – “Make A Baby in Macabebe!”
- Ugly Kid Joey/Homer Singson – “Virac, You Rock!”
- Blitzkrieg – “Kamuning Get Me!”
- Chez Kitron – “Bongga Ka Day, Sa Norzagaray!”
- Acer – “In Na In Sa Philippine.”
- Elton Dot Org – “Hanap Mo Ba Maluwag, Halina Sa Laoag!”
- Copochax – “Go Gaga In Naga!”
- Anika Bananika – “Quezon In The Zone.”
- Gracia – “Vigan, Punta Na KaiVigan!”
- Gracia – “Kung Ikaw Ay Pagod, Gulong Mo Ay Pudpod…Pagudpod!”
- Poljeffrey – “Babaeng Balbon, Marami Sa Malabon!”
- Milky Me – “Better Leyte Than Never!”
- Lady Gaguard – “Ang Lupet Ng Calumpit!”
- Alboy – “Boracay, You Sexy Beach!”
- Confused Soul – “We Fly High In Capiz!”
- No Name – “Whee! Tawi-Tawi!”
- Cappuccino – “Tikman Ag Kalinga Ng Kalinga.”
- Cappuccino – “Walang Aayaw Sa Apayao.”
- Joti – “A Long Long Time Agoo.”
- Antipatikong Guwapito – “Maliit Navotas, Lumalaki!”
- Jay – “Bulacan CAN!”
- Puputot – “Maraming Gig Sa Taguig!”
- Gooey Kablooey/Dennis Pinch – “Be Happy And Gay At Baclaran!”
- Grant – “El Nido. It’s Everybody’s Milk!”
- Lloyd – “It’s Not A Summer Vacation, Unless It’s A Samar Vacation!”
- Denzel – “Kamias: May Asim Pa!”
- Froyo18 – “Bagong Antique!”
- Targrod – “Sa Marinduque, Malalaki Ang Pu…so.”
- Tyler Swift – “EoW pFouHWz, pHFiLiPPeEnZZ!”
Check out Chico Garcia’s Blog for more of these funny entries!
Our country have countless wonders that can effortlessly draw tourists from all over, and we have a directly proportional number of home grown talented minds. With these two elements, a catalyzed product can be achieved only if those in position knows what they are doing. P-noy should start picking the right men who can give us good outcome, and not some slogan that annoyingly rhymes “Pilipinas, Game ka na ba?”
Do I hear a Kris Aquino nagging in the background?